May 28, 2024  
Butler University Bulletin 2023-2024 
Butler University Bulletin 2023-2024

Financial Aid

Butler University offers a variety of financial aid programs based on academic excellence, performance ability, and the family’s ability to contribute. Financial aid may be offered in the form of scholarships, grants, student loans, and on-campus employment. Funding for these programs is provided by federal, state, and Butler University resources. Students who are seeking financial aid are encouraged to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 1 each year and complete their financial aid file by May 1.

Any application materials or documents submitted to the Office of Financial Aid by the student or on his or her behalf become the property of the University and a permanent record of the Office of Financial Aid. The Office of Financial Aid is responsible for compliance with federal, state, and University regulations and guidelines. Financial aid counselors are available at 317-940-8200, 877-940-8200 (toll-free), or Financial aid information is available at

Butler University Gift Programs

Butler University awards gift assistance through programs like the Academic Scholarship, Jordan College of the Arts Award, Athletic Grant in Aid, and Butler Grant. These awards are available for tuition only to full-time undergraduate students pursuing their first bachelor’s degree, unless otherwise stated. Additional programs and details are available at

Federal and State Grants

Students who complete the FAFSA may be eligible for federal and state grants. Program details and application requirements are available at


Student loan programs are available for students who complete the FAFSA. Loans must be repaid and managed carefully. Additional information regarding loan programs is available at

Financial Aid and Study Abroad at Butler University

Butler University is supportive of students who wish to study abroad. Butler University aid for tuition may be used in the full amount for overseas study in an approved exchange program. An approved non-exchange program is limited to 50 percent of the tuition award amounts for the first semester of overseas study and 25 percent of the tuition award amounts for the second semester of overseas study. Butler aid for tuition is eligible for only two semesters of overseas study. The full amount of federal and state awards (i.e., Federal Pell Grant, Federal Direct Loans) may be used for the study-abroad semester, depending upon the cost of the program. Butler aid for room and board cannot be used while abroad.

Other Financial Aid and Loan Policies

Leave of Absence Policy

To reserve merit awards if you leave the University for personal reasons, you must request a leave of absence from the Office of Financial Aid. The written request must be submitted prior to the 10th day of the semester for which the leave is requested. If the Office of Financial Aid approves the leave of absence, the merit awards may be reserved for a maximum of two semesters. Personal reasons may include those that are medical, financial, or experiential; however, full-time attendance at another university or college does not qualify.

Outside Scholarships

According to federal regulations, scholarships received from donors outside of Butler University are considered to be a resource available to meet your financial aid eligibility. As a financial aid recipient, a student must report all outside scholarships from sources other than the federal, state, and University programs. The policy for treatment of outside scholarships is at

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Federal regulations require that all financial aid recipients make satisfactory academic progress toward a certificate or degree. The standards apply to all terms, regardless of whether or not the student received financial aid. The Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards can be found at In addition, students must meet the retention standards of the University as outlined in the Butler University Student Handbook.

Special Circumstances

If a significant loss of income is projected, resulting in circumstances that restrict your parents’ ability to contribute to your education, write a letter explaining the circumstances, and the Office of Financial Aid will review your situation. Special circumstances are defined as situations that the family has minimal control over: death, disability, loss of income due to layoff, and unemployment. Voluntary circumstances are not eligible for consideration. Such voluntary items would include consumer debt, voluntary leave of employment, and loss of income due to change in job or school attendance.


Before withdrawing from all classes, a student should contact the Office of Financial Aid. The University’s refund policy is administered through the Office of Student Accounts. However, federal law dictates that the refund of financial aid is calculated based on days of attendance (earned aid), which can result in a balance owed to the University or to financial aid programs.

Student Consumer Information

The Student Consumer Information regulations of the U.S. Department of Education require universities to provide students with access to certain information to which they are entitled as consumers. This information is available at